Sadly, I'm not sure that what works for me and my kids, and makes Gathering one of our favorite parts of the year, applies to anyone else. For instance, I had attended Yearly Meeting, FGC Gathering, and FLGBTQC events for years before I started having kids. This meant that by the time Eric and I attended Gathering together when he was about 14 months old, I had many friends and acquaintances. For me, having lots of people to say hello to, even just passing on the path, means I don't end up feeling isolated because caring for kids keeps me away from some activities.
Having attended in the past means that not only do you know people, but you know the Gathering, its basic offerings and schedule, and don't have to waste energy on figuring out how it works. Your kids, having been there several times, also know the check-in routine, and they know how much they have to look forward to, which makes the dull arrival-check-in-and-unpacking part more manageable for them. So my first piece of advice would be, "Go back in time and attend on your own a half-dozen times first; it really helps."
If that's not practical, there are usually many Red Cedar Friends around. So the first piece of advice I would give any parent attending for this first time is: Don't be afraid to ask for help. People from my meeting have sometimes watched my kids for an hour or two so I can grab a nap, or helped the kids fetch their food at meals (the cafeteria can be the most challenging part of the Gathering), or invited my kids to their table so I can eat my lunch in peace.
I have gotten so good at asking for help that, especially in the cafeteria, I have almost no qualms about asking complete strangers for small favors. Friendly strangers have refilled our drink glasses, sat with one kid while I ran another to the bathroom, and bussed our table. Usually they seem happy to be asked, and to help. Only once did the person I asked seem the least bit taken aback, but even that person collected himself and said he was more than happy.
I had to learn the asking-for-help lesson the hard way over several years--I used to be so invested in seeming capable I would say "No, thank you" even when I was juggling two cafeteria trays, my toddler had just disappeared behind the drinks station, and my older kid was sitting cross-legged in the line of traffic declaring that he would not eat anything at all if they didn't have grilled cheese sandwiches. The day Carl threw up on me in a very crowded and public place got me over my misplaced sense of self-sufficiency, but you don't need to wait for that extreme. Don't make things harder for yourself than they have to be, please. Ask for help with small things before you even think you need it, and it will help preserve your energy and sanity.
You will be housed near other families with kids, and can request to be near families you know from home. Even if you don't know the parents nearby, be friendly and get to know them. Leave the door to your room open and say hello when they pass by. If you and your kids are going out to ride bikes or throw a ball around after lunch, invite the kids from down the hall, too. Then, when that family is playing frisbee the next day, they'll invite your kids, and you can have a little quiet, or take a nap.
My third piece of advice would be to take your kids' needs, and yours, seriously. Until this last year, we missed a lot of activities because too much time with people can just be overwhelming for Eric the Introvert, and so we usually chose to spend our afternoons either quietly in our room or doing something together just as a family, like taking a walk or riding bikes. We missed out on Family Center activities like story time, we never got to play capture the flag, and we've never been on a field trip. But we didn't go insane from over-scheduling, which is important for us. (Last year, eight-year-old Eric surprised me by being much better able to handle the groups, and choosing to spend even our available free time with his friends instead of having down time.)
We also usually prioritize getting enough sleep, which means that no matter how interested I am in the plenaries, I probably can't hope to get to more than one, or at the very most two. This was true even before I had kids, and is even more true now that I do.
I'm also the person who, last year, rolled my own fridge into the dorm on a hand truck, and I'll do it again this year, because being able to have an occasional lunch in our room instead of going to the cafeteria can give us a really welcome break. This is how seriously I take the idea of making sure we can get our needs met. (Also, having a cold can of sparkling water to offer other moms near the end of the their rope does wonders for building relationships.)
My third piece of advice applies to anyone, really, and it is: Accept that you can't do everything. There is great stuff happening at the Gathering starting with 7 a.m. yoga and ending with contra dancing until midnight. It helps me to start thinking even before I arrive about what I want to prioritize. This year, I'm leading a workshop, so being fresh for that is important, and that probably means no late nights. There's a field trip I'd like to take the kids on, so that may mean planning a quiet afternoon the day before so they're up for it. I used to try always to attend FLGBTQC worship, but it ends at 5:30. Last summer I discovered that if the kids and I go to dinner when the cafeteria first opens at 5, it's much less crowded and we cope much better. (Not everyone is as bothered by the cafeteria as we are; as a group, we're awfully sensitive to noise and crowds.) So getting to the cafeteria at 5 became a higher priority for me than worship, at least on most days.
My fourth piece of advice is to not be too discouraged by the rough moments. I have learned, from many years now of traveling with my kids to the yearly meeting, FLGBTQC Midwinters, and the summer gathering, that a low point for me is right after arrival time, when the kids are wired and wild from being in the car, and I'm worn out from driving, and the unloading seems impossible. It is very common for me to think, "Why did we come? This is not going to be any fun at all. I don't know why I put us through this year after year." Your moments of discouragement may be different, but it's a long conference and there are likely to be low points. Don't make too much of them, and ask for help when they come along.
Just in case anybody thinks I'm super-good at this and never lose it, I'll tell a story from the Gathering in 2008. Yehva was not quite a year old, and it was my first Gathering with all three kids. The cafeteria at that Gathering was the worst ever in terms of crowding, noise, and horrible traffic flow between the six different stations you had to go to for the various parts of your meal (I saw a woman from my meeting who didn't even have kids almost reduced to tears by that cafeteria, if that tells you anything). In addition, I'd injured my knee and couldn't walk distances. Was that also the year I'd had emergency oral surgery the day before we left? Yes, I think it was. So...challenging.
The dorm they put FLGBTQC folks in was charming--one of the best we've had for group hanging-out space close to the bedrooms, so parents could put kids to bed and then go down and visit with grownups. But the walls were like paper--you could hear conversations two rooms away as if the people were standing next to you. Since all the families with kids were in one hallway, this made getting your kids settled challenging.
One day, about halfway through the week, I was trying to do something impossible like get Yehva down for a nap, and Eric was "stuck." When Eric gets stuck, it means that none of the available options are acceptable to him, and he can't accept new ideas. He has lost all flexibility and is demanding, loud, whiny, weepy. I was tired, cranky, out of clever peaceful parenting ideas, and right on the verge of losing it, when there was a knock on our door. It was our friend Jude, from a few rooms down the hall. "Hi!" she said. "The girls and I were just thinking of taking a walk and wondered if Eric and Carl wanted to come with us!" "Yes! Yes, they do!" I said, and pushed them firmly out the door.
I don't know for sure whether Jude and her daughters were really just thinking of going for a walk and thought the boys might like to go along, or whether she heard the escalating noise and thought, "I'd better get in there right now, or Su's going to end up smacking one of those kids," but either way, she saved me from a regrettable thing. Single-parenting your kids at the Gathering is not the easiest thing you'll ever do, perhaps. But, for us, it's always been worth it, and we always want to go back.
Which brings me to my final piece of advice: Make a habit of it if you can. For me, the Gathering got better and better the more times I went; my first Gathering was only OK, and wouldn't have been compelling to me if I hadn't happened to be in a workshop that was a very good fit for me and from which I was learning many exciting new things. But over the years, for me, more and more pieces of it are worthwhile. Two years ago was the first time I had a workshop that just didn't speak to me, but it was more than made up for by the great time I had with kids that year (not just my own), and with my adult friends, and singing Sacred Harp.
For the boys, too, attending over the years has made the Gathering better. They are used to the things that are hard or tiring about it, and ever-more-excited about the stuff they like. They have old friends both among the adults and the kids, though especially among the kids, and both Carl and Eric will talk excitedly about looking forward to seeing certain friends again.
I know the Gathering is expensive; if it weren't so close to home, and if I weren't getting a cost reduction for leading a workshop, and if my Quaker meeting weren't contributing $720 for my kids to attend, we wouldn't be able to go this year. We'd go a lot less often if I weren't a stay-at-home mom, but had a job with limited vacation time, or if we had family out-of-state and needed to save vacation time and money for visiting them, as I know some families in our meeting do.
But it is worth it, in my experience. As well as deepening your own relationship to Quakerism, exposing you to Quakers from outside your own monthly meeting with all their quirks and different points of view, and giving you the opportunity to get together with possibly the only 12 liberal unprogrammed Friends who share some interest or concern with you, getting your children out into the wider Quaker world can be life-changing for them.
Edited to add:
Don't be shy about asking for financial help. Even though FGC does everything they can to keep costs down, like offering a family rate for registrations, letting the little kids eat for free, this year even experimenting with making the Gathering one day shorter, the cost really adds up. Your monthly meeting may have travel funds, and FGC offers scholarship assistance. The last couple of years, our family has been experiencing tight cash flow, and we've been helped by FGC scholarship funds. Don't be shy about asking for it; that's what it's there for. Someday when you have a little extra, you can offer it to the scholarship fund as a contribution when you register. This year, I didn't need to ask for scholarship help; next year, I hope we can contribute a little to the fund when we register.
17 comments:
I always have more to say.
First, last year when I seemed so very together was one of the best Gatherings the kids and I have had. Our housing was this charming little suite which we shared with two families: one that were old friends, and one who quickly became new friends. We won the "how far you have to walk" crap shoot last year, with my workshop, the kids' programs, our housing, and the cafeteria all in one quad, or the two buildings closest to it (by contrast with the year when our dorm was equidistant from Eric's program at the easternmost extreme of the campus, and the workshop I was leading at the westernmost extreme, with Carl's program sort of off at a tangent). And Eric, at eight, was a whole different kid, who found the whole thing much easier than he had in the past. It looked easy for us because, last year, it was pretty easy. It hasn't always been.
Thanks for the great tips. 2008 was my first gathering and I attended with 2 of my kids, leaving the most-likely-to-get-stuck child home with Dad. It really was a wonderful experience, but also so very stressful! The best part was that I've never had so many people seem truly eager to help me, both when I really, really needed it, and even when I didn't. I started to wonder if I looked really desperate or something, lol! I probably did -- I had to submit to being humble enough to accept the help, because usually did need it. Both the challenges of that first gathering, as well as the tremendous love and support I felt there brought me to tears on more than one occasion. As stressful as it was, it was worth it. We are one of those families that have to travel to visit extended family from time to time, so we couldn't go last year. This year we are going again.
My own tip to myself was to make sure the *whole* family came the next time. Not only because having 2 adults will be easier, but because I think it will be nice for us all to have the common experience. It will be our family vacation this year. Firmin is already stating his intention to nap with Ethan most afternoons, which will free me up to do fun things with the older kids. (Though I might insist on *my* tern to nap long about Thursday!) I know taking a partner isn't feasible for everyone, but I'm hoping it's a big part of my ticket to a lower-stress gathering! You are so right about other Red Cedar Friends being willing to take the kids to some event or to lunch or whatever. I experienced that, and probably will again some time when we all want to be going in different directions.
LOL, my "tern". I'll just tuck my tern in with my toddler and let them take a good long nap. Tweet, tweet! I need more sleep... ;o)
One of my favorite poems as a kid was something by Ogden Nash that included the line, "When I throw rocks at sea birds, I leave no tern unstoned."
Su: Thank you for this! We have not yet found way opening for us to attend FGC Gathering, but we expect it is on the horizon for a future year. In the meantime, your suggestions could very easily apply to Yearly Meeting Summer Sessions, which I do attend (from New York Yearly Meeting), and even down to other smaller-scale but still equally stressful gatherings (at least on the parenting scale--I'm thinking of things like the annual holiday potluck, and things like that). --Thanks, Mia
If so many moms are so tired and overwhelmed at FGC, it seems to me that the community should be taking more responsibility. It sounds like it is a financial and logistical burden that mothers feel the brunt of, and perhaps the whole community could consider taking some of the burden of that by offering help, or having more help built in to the process, such as childcare and kids activities.
I think it is sad that we live in such an individualistic society that women feel isolated and overwhelmed in caring for children, even when surrounded by loving religious community. And meanwhile so many people are longing for the presence of children in their lives.
Hearing that other moms are frazzled is concerning -- and helps me decide if I should attempt this or other gatherings. Since I have a child with disabilities, I'm even more concerned about what something like this would be like. My worship group is wonderful, but I do worry how strangers would be (especially since I've seen in the past some pretty intolerant views towards the disabled from Friends in the past). If a mom of a 'regular' kid is frazzled, if many are, then maybe I should sit gatherings out. :/
The Gathering is, I think, kind of inherently challenging, because there's so much going on all the time, and there can be a lot of chaos at meals. But my introverted family is not necessarily the right measure to compare to--I wonder if other families will chime in? I didn't mean to be negative at all. Our youngest family member, Little Miss Extroverted, thrives on the energy. Last year, at almost-two, she was the only one of my kids who went to her childcare program in the evening as well as in the morning. Others' experiences may be very different.
Ann, I can't speak to attending the Gathering with a disabled child. I hope someone with knowledge will chime in.
My number one rule for attending large gatherings with my children is to put them to bed at their usual times and to go to bed when they do. When they were younger, that meant 7:30. Now, it might mean 8-9:00 pm. I need more sleep when I'm surrounded by new things, just as much as they need their routines.
I can also affirm how helpful other people have been at the FGC Gathering, at Pacific Yearly Meeting, and every other Quaker conference I have taken my children to. The children's programs have been mixed in quality, but my kids have a good time. The key, like Su said, is to say yes when people ask if they can help and to have no shame about asking for more help when you need it.
I accept that I cannot do everything and I know that being a good, loving parent who honors my children is more important spiritual work than any plenary could be for me at this point in my life. I also avoid the cafeteria at all costs! We eat as few meals as possible in the cafeteria and take a few trips to the grocery store during the week.
And to be honest, if I weren't a staff spouse, I would not choose to go every year. I think it's a bit overwhelming. We take a week after Gathering to have a "do nothing" family vacation, such as going to a cabin in the woods or chill at good friends' houses. It feels like that week restores balance.
This comment is to Ann:
I don't know the nature of your child's disability. Mine (now 15 and very capable of taking care of himself) has extreme impulsivity and interesting social/neurological quirks. Also, I am not good at asking for help at all. So the Gathering has been frazzling.
But it was worth it every single time we made it there, because until J was in 2nd grade in the right school for him, it was the only place (outside of home, of course) that accepted him for who he was and not a problem to be dealt with.
One week a year is not nearly enough for that, of course, but when it's all you get, it means the world.
I am 20 years old and still find Gathering overwhelming. When I get the schedule I do not look at the afternoon activities because there are too many choices and I need to have some down time before worship. Last year instead of doing a workshop I worked with junior gathering which was amazing. I also try to find the children I know and play with them in the afternoons so that their parents can lay down or do something different. It has been important for me to not schedule the whole week.
Last year I also found myself walking out of plenary or not going because I was too overwhelmed. If something isn't working look for an alternative that might support you better. I find myself not letting what comes while I am walking, and instead always being on a mission to go somewhere the hardest thing, let the experience be fluid and flexible. I would like to say that parents should try coming a couple of times before they rule it out.
As a child my family only came about every four years because it was too far away but when we did go my sister and I always asked to go back the next year. I am now greatful for living closer and giving more of a priority in my summer, because I want to see my friends, both old and young.
Su,
This is sooo wonderful! Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences both good and challenging.
We'd love to put a link to your blog on the Junior Gathering webpage for parents. What do you think?
Patsy Arnold Martin
FGC Junior Gathering Coordinator
I just want to respond to anonymous who said,
"...perhaps the whole community could consider taking some of the burden of that by offering help, or having more help built in to the process, such as childcare and kids activities.
I think it is sad that we live in such an individualistic society that women feel isolated and overwhelmed in caring for children, even when surrounded by loving religious community."
My experience at Gathering was that the community *did* take on my burdens, and that their love and support was very much in evidence. I felt 100% supported, and I recall wishing that I could live in this kind of community always! I think there is no way around feeling a little (or a lot) overwhelmed at such a busy and vibrant event as Gathering. Having young children in your care adds to that, but it's part of the deal of being a parent. I sometimes get overwhelmed at home with no where to go! Some of my stress was due to circumstances beyond anyone's control. My 9 month old had to go to the emergency room at one point -- a stressful event in any situation, but especially so far from home and without one's partner. One of the women from my son's baby and toddler program insisted on going with us to the hospital, while members of my home meeting shepherded my older child for the day at Gathering. What more could I have asked for? So many people at Gathering were *such* a blessing to me that week. I didn't want to leave the impression that I felt isolated and unsupported -- the opposite was true. I was so proud to be part of the Quaker community.
Stephanie
Wow, Patsy, I'd be honored if you wanted to link to this. Thanks.
Thanks, too, Stephanie, for speaking my mind as well.
I'm an oldie but still fit great grandmother who raised 6 children. I think I'll go to gathering with the express idea of finding you dear mothers and being whatever you need. I do indeed miss the little children. Even the grand kids are grown and far away. Bless you dears. I'm free for Pacific and will never miss another one.
I went to my 2nd gathering in 1995 with no partner and one teenager which is much like going solo. On the fourth day two 3rd grade children adopted me into their families at lunchtime. I got to see how three families from one meeting shared children from toddlers to tweens each afternoon, releasing half their adults to other activities.
When I became clerk of the Jr Gathering committee for the next gathering, I insisted that we have a place for families to find each other in the afternoons, do things together, and connect for sharing/support at other times. The Families Center we started that year has become the Family Place which still has that purpose. While planning family networking before hand is good, don't give up going without it.
Now for us, gatherings are important family times with our grandchild and his parents.
Tom Farley
Post a Comment