I've still been acting as treasurer, but many months I have gone to business meeting just long enough to give my report. This was partly because of health problems that required me to carefully decide how to use my energy--I had, for about a year and half, not even enough spoons to stay awake and out of bed for a whole day, and sitting through business meeting was just too costly. But it was also because I found it hard to be with that group of people.
The reasons I took my hiatus feel complicated and, in some cases, petty. It has been hard to talk about (though I do talk about it an awful lot!) and it has often left me confused. Certain irritations had been growing on me for a long time, and a big handful of painfully offensive conversations I'd had with specific members have stayed with me, unresolved. For a long time, I was cheerfully able to accept that people come to Quaker meeting for different reasons, and that if some people were there to get something different from what I was looking for, that didn't mean I couldn't also find what I needed. But I began to feel that the Quakerism I was looking for was being crowded out by, for instance, liberal politics and a small but vocal number of Friends who were openly hostile to the idea of talking about God.
I've had a very hard time sorting out what things have to do with individuals, and what have to do with the meeting. For instance, one reason I've been uncomfortable with the meeting is the sense that, overall, we are affluent and highly educated, and not especially willing to be aware of our privilege, or think about what it means. And I still think that's true. But when I think back over things people have said that seemed absolutely clueless or hostile or offensive on class issues, it is primarily one person. So, is this a problem with the meeting, or a problem I have with this one person?
Similarly, we have an awful lot of college professors, lawyers, and doctors in our meeting. On the one hand, this creates a certain meeting culture that I wish we were more aware of: for instance, when a grad student comments in Joys and Sorrows that she's taking comps this week, the collective groan of sympathy that passes through the room really says something about who we are. We also tend to use language that goes beyond merely middle-class to--having trouble with words here, a little short on spoons today--erudite, academic, almost jargony. If we want to be a diverse and welcoming meeting, it would be good to be aware that when someone makes a joke about capital gains tax in business meeting and most of us laugh, or someone says about a recent trip to Europe, "I just can't relax unless I'm on another continent, that's just how far away I have to get," and a non-zero number of listeners chuckle in recognition of the sentiment, we are sending powerful signals about who we are. And believe me visitors for whom capital gains tax and trips to Europe are not on their list of active concerns will pick up on those signals. (Full disclosure: I was the one who made the joke about capital gains tax. And then immediately wished it back. But this is why I say "us, us, us," and not, "them, them, them," when talking about social class and my monthly meeting.)
None of that makes us bad people. It makes us who we are, and I only wish that, as a group, we were willing to think more about that. But it's mixed up in my mind with hurtful interactions I've had with specific people: for instance, only two people in my whole life have ever patronized or condescended to me because I am a housewife. Both of those people are college professors who are members of my meeting. I cannot always tell where the line is between "some people in my meeting are like this," and "my meeting is like this."
I don't want to slip into my Litany of Complaint here. The short version is that I often find myself not sharing specific values that seem to be taken for granted by many in the meeting; that I am interested in pursuing a possible call to a ministry that is not supported in liberal Quakerism; that I want a more religious religion than many Red Cedar Friends seem comfortable with; that I am troubled and discouraged by vocal ministry that draws on NPR and The New York Times for inspiration, or is what the British call "daffodil ministry" ("I saw daffodils blooming on the way to the meetinghouse this morning..."). The specific vocal ministry that inspired God to let me take a break from my struggles was so different from my own understanding of Quakerism's historical roots and influences that either the person offering it was sadly misinformed, or I need a refresher course.
The problem is that not attending meeting didn't end my struggle. It just gave me a short break from it. After some months, all the questions started rising up for me again, but my thinking is no clearer--I rehearse the same old complaints, questions, and doubts, but don't find movement. I took God's message very seriously--that "for awhile" implied to me that I would be back at Red Cedar someday. But the months passed and I was not led to return. Last month, inspired by the Lenten reflections of my friend Pastor Julie, I decided to try going back as a Lenten discipline. I went twice. It was horrible both times. The second time I found myself so wounded and angered by something that happened during the social hour that I cried in the car on the way home.
Now, I find myself considering the possibility that I may never go back. My term as treasurer ends in May, and I am supposed to serve on the Adult Religious Education committee. This seems like a good fit for me, something I should be excited about. The meeting is going to experiment with regular ARE activities twice a month, now that we're in our own meetinghouse. I love leading study and discussion groups, and book groups. I spent the first few months of my hiatus reading deeply and widely on religious subjects, and have many ideas for materials that might be of interest to the meeting. I have been bitching for years about the Gospel of The New York Times; this is a chance for me to put my money where my mouth is and join with other members of my meeting in religious reading and discussion.
But, right this minute, my heart is just not in it. I was actually considering last week whether I ought to let the meeting know they should find someone else to fill my spot. And then, yesterday I got a nice e-mail from the Worship and Pastoral Care committee telling me that they would be providing Connecting Kids to Quakers money for my children to attend FGC Gathering: a total of $720 for my three kids. I found that I wasn't sure I felt comfortable accepting the money; David says I should, he says it's premature to think of myself as no longer part of the meeting or undeserving of the services it provides. But I feel a pang, and think it's possible I accepted David's argument so readily not because I feel he's right, but because without that money, the kids and I can't go to Gathering, and I want to go. The fact that my reaction to the message was to feel uncomfortable about the money tells me something important, I think, about my relationship to my meeting and where it might be going.
God said eight words to me, and I thought I understood them perfectly well: You get to take a break, and then you come back. But what if I'm wrong? I've been waiting for way to open, and for that way to be a door back into Red Cedar. I thought it would look like one of those internal shifts where you find yourself able to transcend the pettiness, accept things as they are, open your heart so wide that people who used to hurt and disappoint you are objects of sympathy and affection. Or maybe, I thought, God would give me a word to speak, a clear leading about how to be different in my meeting, a ministry that could be heard there; God might transform me from a whining, self-pitying, over-sensitive complainer into someone with something meaningful to offer, an agent of grace.
But what if God is cutting me loose? Can it really be true that God no longer wants or needs me to be a Quaker in a monthly meeting? Is there someplace else I'm needed? How would I know? I thought I'd have answers by now, but all I have is a new set of questions I never thought I'd be asking.
Well (she said briskly, dusting her hands) they don't have to be answered this minute. This minute, there's a Yehva-related mess in the kitchen that needs to be cleaned up, a shower to be taken, a worryingly sick cat to be taken to the vet, a grocery list to be written, bills to be paid.
17 comments:
being who I am, I picked up on the "discerning a call to ministry" part, and the part about reading widely on religious topics. Have you thought about seminary? Is there a Quaker seminary? I know a branch of Friends has trained leaders, is that a branch you would never be a part of? I will also remind/recommend ETS in Detroit, where I started. It would be a do-able commute for you, especially for a once-a-week class. I even took a couple that were once a month, Friday-Saturday combo, though I no longer have a place for you to stay, since Andrea moved out west. And speaking of commute, is there another meeting you could try? When I was at ETS, I had a friend who had a friend who was a Friend, and she believed in Jesus. So different meetings have different understandings of God, or one's relationship with God.
The money part: have you continued to contribute to your meeting while on hiatus? Even if you haven't, I agree with David. Your relationship is still ongoing. The meeting needs to give money away. It's part of their purpose. You may as well be the recipient.
It's interesting and important, your contemplation between is the meeting the issue or one or two persons the issue. Still, one person can make you decide to move on. Yesterday there was a conflict at Immanuel... it's a long story, but the point is, it made me understand why someone left (long ago, before I was there). It made me sad, because as a leader I wish she and her family were still there, sharing their gifts. When I put on my friend hat, I know she had to go and develop her gifts elsewhere. The poignant part is the pain to those left behind (her mother-in-law, who doesn't get to worship with her grandchildren).
Praying for you as your discernment continues.
I wish there were a way we could talk about some of these issues with our Meeting as a whole. I share some of your general annoyances on the class and political issues, and I'm sure there are others who do as well. I was disappointed in many ways with our retreat last year on class -- it seemed very focused on income and comforts of childhood and less on the social tier most of us now inhabit by virtue of our educations and peer groups, regardless of how we grew up or the size of our current paycheck. I was hoping we'd do a follow up, but I haven't heard any murmurings about it. That's just one thing though. I so hear you about the academic jargon. "The Other" -- ugh.
I haven't shared in your personal hurts, and I imagine those are harder to deal with than the "theological" issues. I can only offer my sympathies to you on this score. Maybe there *is* somewhere else you are supposed to be -- somewhere where you will feel more supported and more effective. If that's the case, leaving us will not be as much of a tragedy for you as it will be for us. Your voice has been one that I have most valued in both spoken ministry and casual conversation.
I just want to clarify that my "tragic" comment was made without a hint of snark. I realized after submitting that it could be read that way, but I am sincere in my hope that you land wherever you are supposed to be, even if that's not with us. (Hug)
It's possible to be a Friend without a Meeting, and it's hard and painful. For me, the only thing that made it possible was my deep connections with other Quaker organizations, like FGC and FLGBTQC, and going to other Quaker events, like FGC Gathering and FLGBTQC Mid-Winter. Those things helped remind me, over and over, that Quakerism really is my home, regardless of the hurtful things that had happened in individual Meetings, regardless of how the Quakerism of my experience and study sounded different from that of others... And eventually, I did end up in a Meeting that was home. I did not expect it, and I am far from them now; but that time helps sustain me.
As (I think) you know, I've wrestled with the call to ministry; and for more than 20 years, I resisted a call to seminary. I'm there now, and while it's a big challenge, I love it. Being someplace interfaith and accessible from anywhere helps. I'm not even the only Quaker there, nor am I the oddest person in any of my classes. And I love the chance to read extensively and chew things over deeply with other people who care a lot about this stuff -- some of whom are very, very different from me.
Some Friends get this; some don't. I treasure the support from those who do. It's a genuine leading, as is the one to live my life as a Friend; if they want to argue with the Goddess, they can. ;-)
If you'd like to talk about this more, or if there's any way I can be of support to you in this extended wrestling you're doing, I am here for you.
Hi Su, I feel your pain. I've been in this situation with two meetings. Over time, what I've realized is that my disappointment has had less to do with particular outrages and more to do with how the rest of the meeting responded--or rather didn't respond. It's not really an issue of theology. It's more whether the meeting as a whole is really committed to being the beloved community, God's people, etc. Both meetings have lost energy and member participation since I left, so it doesn't seem to be just me. Some meetings are just too comfortable; some probably want to wind down and die.
All I've been able to do is trust in God and trust that there's some purpose in my meetinglessness. As someone who's long had a concern for isolated Friends, I've wondered if I'm just supposed to know what it's like to be an isolated Friend. Obviously, I remain very involved in Friends. I try to stay open to more local possibilities. I trust things will change though I have no inkling how that might happen. I think I just have to wait on God's time for this.
I am holding you in the Light for discernment and wonder if a clearness committee of people you trust might help with both your call to ministry and relationship to the meeting community. Your frankness about income/class has led me to be more so, as in my annual letter, even though my situation is so peculiar, but I always worry that I'm one of the people who said unkind or clueless things to you or in worship, because of my assumptions. (sally)
"is this a problem with the meeting, or a problem I have with this one person?"
or is it a problem not in the sense of something to be eliminated or fixed, but a problem to be worked with, another one of those lab exercises from God?
the dilemma for me is always, when I'm annoyed or troubled by the people around me, am I to stay in silence, stay and witness (after WAY more inward preparation than I'd prefer!), or leave. the answer is almost never "leave." except for awhile.
of course you're aware of ESR, right? speaking of Quaker seminaries... they even have a distance ed option.
p.s. I don't know of any Quaker seminaries that aren't exclusivist Christian, but if Susan or anyone else does, I'd love to hear about it/them.
Susan wrote: "the dilemma for me is always, when I'm annoyed or troubled by the people around me, am I to stay in silence, stay and witness (after WAY more inward preparation than I'd prefer!), or leave."
Oh, yes, and that's not an easy one at all. Empathy.
And sometimes it means discernment about witness vs. staying where one is treated badly, even spiritually abusively.
About ESR: ESR is exclusivist Christian: http://esr.earlham.edu/?q=about.
(Which I wouldn't presume to say would or would not work for Su, since I can't speak for her at all, much less theaologically!)
So while ESR may be a Quaker seminary, it's a Quaker seminary for Christians only; and not all Quakers called to seminary are Christian. The challenge is, in many ways, doubled for non-Christian Friends -- and non-Christian-certain Friends -- who have leadings to seminary: finding seminaries where they're welcome and will feel at home as non-Christians or maybe non-Christians, and finding seminaries where they're welcome and will feel at home as Friends. That's a tough, but very important (and not unsolvable) combination.
I think this speaks to a hole in theaolgical education as a whole, but that would probably be a whole other comment. Or blog post in itself. ;-)
School of the Spirit (a program through Philadelphia Yearly Meeting) was doing a two-year program on The Way of Ministry that I thought I might someday be interested in, but they've laid it down for now. Their website is ambiguous about whether someone else is taking it up.
I appreciate the comments I've gotten, both on the blog and privately. It's been very helpful.
Oh, and Julie, Quakers aren't like you Lutherans--I just read somewhere that there are maybe 3 million ELCA Lutherans in the US. Whereas I hear a lot that there are about 100,000 Quakers, and liberal unprogrammed Friends are a minority (something I saw not too long ago suggested about 15,000 in the US, but I can't find it again and may be mis-remembering--I remember I was surprised by the low number).
This means that, no, there's not another meeting to go to. Michigan has unprogrammed meetings in Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Pine River, Detroit, Birmingham, Ann Arbor, and Lansing (am I missing somebody? There's a worship group in Albion...). I think there's a Friends Church in Traverse City, but it is hard for me to imagine being comfortable in a Friends Church! A person I know from Yearly Meeting was involved in starting a conservative worship group in Flint; I was going to say I don't know if they're still meeting, but Google tells me they're a full-blown monthly meeting now.
Su,
Crossroads Meeting is alive and kicking. Our worship group in Detroit, New City Friends, is in a clearness process to come under their care. I know both Flint and Detroit are probably a bit far, but if you're interested in visiting our worship group will be having a special meeting for worship on 5/2 with Marty Grundy and Connie Green (authors of a Pendle Hill Pamphlet on Matthew 18). More info at http://newcityfriends.wordpress.com
I'd love to hear more about your experience,as one who hasn't fit easily into a lot of Quakerism as it's known here in MI. My email is hampton.tyler@gmail.com
-Tyler
Adult Religious Education has been a HUGE gift in my meeting as far as getting people talking about different things: the history of our Meeting, George Fox and early Quakers, the Peace Testimony, science, and other topics. There have been multiple weeks when Adult Religious Education has informed messages in 11 am Meeting for Worship to great positive effect.
As for the question of conflict with one person, does your meeting have any pastoral practices or connection to historical Quaker practices as far as the two of you talking about specific issues between you? If the answer is no, you could add learning about traditional Quaker practices in this area to possible topics for Adult Religious Education.
I am holding you in the Light as far as health issues and general discernment, but what would it look like for way to open as far as Adult Education.
Hello Friend --
I was reading this post, admittedly not having read prior posts about your situation, and I, having had similar feelings in my meeting in the past, but choosing a different route, thought I would share a bit with you. I truly relate to arriving at a place where you do not feel you "fit" with the meeting, and where you experience yourself as separated already even though you are still present. I struggle with some of the same class and privilege issues as well.
Seven years ago, owing to a huge conflict that seemed it would never be resolved within our meeting, I began to feel estranged from the meeting. At that point I took numerous short breaks, as did others who were feeling conflicted. I never actually left, but I often went weeks without attending. When I was in meeting, I had to bite my tongue, because often I felt like "ministering" in ways I was not sure were not Spirit-led.
A few things happened to help me get back to meeting:
I went to Yearly Meeting Sessions, even though I felt estranged from my monthly meeting. There I found a somewhat anonymous though frequently more experienced body of Friends, who ministered to my bemoaning. I found Friends who had weathered similar storms in their communities and managed to stay. I sought advice. I relished the deep worship with many elders gathered in one place.
I found an elder in my own meeting who was able to listen deeply to me and hear my longing and help me to interpret it in the Light of my community of Friends. Through email, phone conversation, lunches following meeting, and other times of shared distant prayer, she helped me to bring meaning to my struggle.
I attended a Quaker leadership workshop where the leader was addressing an issue of a Friend standing in meeting for worship for business, saying that they were "standing against" an issue, and that they refused to talk about it. In our discussion about how to deal with such a person as a clerk, the leader said, "This person has made a choice to withdraw themselves from Quaker process, by refusing to dialogue. That is their right, but we must recognize that once they have done that, they are no longer a part of the process, and that the Meeting may choose to move forward without them." The situation was vasty different, but in that moment I recognized that when I withdrew myself from meeting, refusing to talk about it, *I* was choosing to not be a part of my community. It was not them leaving me, it was me leaving them, and there could be no solution for me if I was not a part of.
These things allowed me to face the fact that I had to return as a full member of my community and stand in the conflict, if I ever hoped to change my situation. I realized I was fearful of the outcome of the conflict and of what I would learn about myself. With much counsel and support of a few Friends, I did return, and I did, very uncomfortably, learn much about myself, and grow deeply in my faith. I also grew to feel much more committed to my community and to being the change I wanted to see.
A caveat to this is that in time, I have seen that the people who left and did not return, or remain on the periphery, are still seeming to struggle with the same issues, and I do not think that separating has helped them to move on as they anticipated. Though, of course only they could say if that is true.
I offer this purely as food for thought, knowing that your situation may be far different than mine, as I am only viewing a small tidbit of your journey.
Blessings to you Friend, on your path. I hope you find peace.
In love and Light,
Linda
All this sounds very much like me (although the hostility to The G Word in my Meeting tends to be tacit rather than explicit.)
Someone I discovered recently:
"Few things have stood in the way of God-understanding so much as the confusion between the personal-thought-of-God, and the Being-of-God. This thought has stood up before all thought, yet it is only a thought, while the Being is life itself. Still the thought-of-God as part of religion may take every
human being a step forward, and that is well. But if one cannot take another step, cannot rise above one’s own thought-of-God, he or she has set a limit to progress for the time being.
"The thought-of-God is very valuable for self-purification, for morality, devotion, zeal, idealism and all the negative processes and virtues. The thought-of-God keeps the mind of people away from earth, although it does not always carry them very far upward above the denseness of earth. This can be seen that with all the millions of religious people we still have wars and strife and hatred; we still have all the problems for which the founders of religions gave solutions. The solutions are there and the problems
are there and the acceptance of God is there, yet something is missing. This shows that while exoteric religion has its place it is not enough, something is lacking. Sufis say that this lack is the realization of God, which is necessary to complete the thought-of-God, the God-Ideal, and the worship of God." [Murshid Sam Lewis]
We as modern liberal Friends are faced with a group of colleagues who aren't open even to the idea of God, let alone being prepared to recognize God as a reality equal in importance to their own. I find it very hard going in such a Meeting, certainly I don't get as much out of it, while the hope of being able to put much into it is an ongoing frustration! I don't have an answer for you or for myself, though I'm still going. God knows what he's collected this bunch for!
Dear Su,
I have little to add to the collected wisdom and experience above except to say that I find Meeting to be much like my family in many ways and that it's painful to me when I find meeting (and my family) is not the community I wish it were.
Having just a couple of years of community college I tend to go along with the comments of the more educated, sort of hiding my lack by not drawing attention to it. I don't feel pain around this myself but I know that one of my sibs would never feel comfortable in our meeting because of this so I do want our meeting to be more sensitive and aware for the sake of newcomers that may not share the privileges of the middle class. And it's not that I never feel any discomfort around class, it's just that my struggles are currently focused on something else. Still I would be most willing to support and participate in developing my own and meeting's awareness of class.
I've always thought of meeting as pretty open to our various spiritual understandings including about God, but I've also been away a lot in recent years so I can't speak with any authority to that. I do feel sad and worried that you or anyone else would perceive hostility toward the idea of God and perhaps to your experience of God. It seems essential to me that we do all we can to provide some basic safety for one another as we follow our leadings, where ever they might go. I also know that sometimes people lack the skill to do this when they have been touched in a painful place and can behave badly. I think this is where skilled eldering could be helpful but who among us would accept such eldering?
As to distancing from meeting, I've done a lot of that in recent years and I can't say that it's been especially good for me or helpful. My distancing didn't arise out of any kind of leading either and I'd say it has made it harder for me to reconnect now that I want to be more connected.
I would be sad if you felt led to move away from meeting, but I also want to support you as you do what you need to do and follow your leadings.
Weaver
Dear Su,
So many thoughts and feelings reading your post! I empathize, am sorry about your experiences, wish you could come over to Grand Rapids Friends Meeting. We have gone through some of the angst of God and Jesus or Christ and Biblical language and leadings of some members with other members who find it difficult to welcome expressions of Christianity. I've had a long and difficult journey with this too, being more instinctively pantheistic and then finding a place within Christianity for myself. This seems to be a trend at least nationally within Friends--there are many blog posts about convergence. GRFM also struggles with issues of jargon, educational levels (we run the gamut), aggravating behavior. Who doesn't? There have been periods when I didn't attend much.
I hope you find spiritual community, whether in person, at the Annual Gathering (I'm going for the 1st time), in cyberspace.... If you want to connect, my email is kim.ranger@gmail.com; blog is http://quakerlibn.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment